Beware – Poisonous to dogs

Poisonous to dogs

There are many things that you will find in your home and garden that are poisonous to dogs. When you are out of your home you may also come across some of these. If you ever thing your dog has been poisoned CALL YOU VETS immediately.


Poisonous to dogs

Below is a list of common poisons that you will come across with your dog.

Chemicals and medicines should be locked away or put in places that dogs (and children) can access.

If you spend time at friends home think about how safe it is for dogs.

My mates with gardens, I always check that they don’t have rat poison put out anywhere before I let me dog loose.

As with children, keep them away from hazardous substances.

Lock it away, put it out of reach, 

Poisonous to dogs

Suspect your dog had been poisoned?

Stay Calm
Call your vet
Poison – tell the vets what you think that have eaten / been exposed to
Quantity- tell the vets the quantity that have eating (number of tablets or quantity)
Time – tell the vets how long ago it happened
Symptoms – tell the vets of any symptoms
Take the packaging to the vets with you (so the vets can see the ingredients)
Do not try and make your dog sick and follow the vets advice

Poisons foods to dogs

  • Chocolate
  • Onions, Garlic
  • Alcohol
  • Avocado
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Grapes, Raisins, Apple seeds
  • Xylitol (Sugar alternative)
  • Cooked bones
  • Cherries
  • Caffine
  • Yeast
  • Rhubarb
  • Nutmeg
  • Fat trimmings

In the cupboard

  • Human medicines, tablets and liquids
  • Pet medicines (unless directed by the vet)
  • Vitamin supplements (unless directed by the vet)
  • Bleach
  • Floor cleaners
  • Rat Poisons
  • Detergents  / washing powders
  • Dish Washer salts
  • Metal Cleaners
  • Air freshners

In the Garden

  • Pest control sprays
  • Fox gloves
  • Ivy
  • Daffodil, tulip, crocus, cyclamen etc bubs
  • Azalea
  • Rhubarb
  • Acorns
  • Wild berries
  • Adders, bees, wasps
  • Asparagus fern

If you have puppies be especially away as they will chew and taste many things.


  • Petrol / Diesel
  • Fire / BBQ  lighters
  • Anti freeze
  • Rock salt (keep off dogs paws as they will lick it off)
  • Fertiliser
  • Batteries (especially the small watch batteries)
  • Pest sprays
  • Rat poison
  • Snail poison
  • Blue Green Algae (in ponds and lakes)

Keeping your home safe

As with children, do not let your pet have access to harmful substances. Put the products out of reach, high up. Any doors or cupboards at the height of your dog make sure are child proof or locked.

Don’t leave hand bags, sports kit bags on the floor or seats that contain hazardous substances. I know of a couple of dogs who rooted through their owners hand bags and ate headache tablets.


Hastings Pet Care

The Dogs Trust